Europe Caribbean Africa South America Asia North America Oceania

Dominica (Commonwealth of)

Time Zone
GMT – 4
Telephone Services
Country Code: 1 767 Outgoing Code: 1 (for the USA, Canada and most Caribbean Islands), 011 for other countries
Emergency Telephone Numbers
Tourist Information
Caribbean Tourism Organisation, 42 Westminster Gardens, Artillery Row, London SW1P 1RR Tel: (020) 7222 4335 Fax: (020) 7222 4325.
Passport Information
Valid passport required by all except: Nationals of Canada and the USA who must have suitable ID and onward travel tickets. Return Ticket required. Requirements may be subject to short-term change. Contact embassy before departure.
Visa Information
Not required by: Nationals of commonwealth countries for stays of up to 6 months. Nationals of the USA for up to 6 months. Nationals of all other countries for stays of up to 21 days. Enquire at the nearest Embassy or High Commission for the latest, complete list of regulations regarding visas.
Health Information
Polio, Typhoid: Vaccination recommended.
Yellow Fever: A vaccination certificate is required from travellers over 1 year of age coming from infected areas.
Food & Drink
Water is untreated and not safe to drink.
East Caribbean Dollar (EC$) = 100 cents. Travellers cheques are accepted in most hotels – US Dollars preferred.
All major credit cards have limited acceptance.
ATM availability: 1 location
Cost of Living
Not as expensive as some of the other Caribbean islands.
English. Creole French is spoken by most of the population.
Hot, subtropical climate all year round. Raining season June – Oct, which is also the hottest time
220/240 volts AC 50 Hz.
Post to Europe takes approximately 14 days. There is no Poste Restante service.
ROAD: There are more than 700km of well maintained roads on the island, although even these can be difficult when driving. BUS: Service exists but is unpredictable. TAXIS: Are the most efficient means of transport. CAR HIRE: Available but driving can be difficult. DOCUMENTATION: IDP is recommended. A valid foreign licence can be used to get a temporary visitors licence.
Special Information
Beach wear should be kept to the beach or pool side. PHOTOGRAPHY: Permission should be asked before taking photos of local people.